Damping off disease of Chilli:
Damping off diseaseof Chilli is a major and primary disease in chilli farming. It is difficult to control the disease after occurring. Therefore, prophylactic preventive measures may lead to the effective management of damping off of chilli. In this post, we will let you know about damping off disease of chilli control with cause, symptoms, cultural control, biological and chemical control of damping off disease of chilli.
Cause: Pythium sp. (Fungi)
Symptoms of Chilli damping off disease:
In Chilli nursery, on young plants (2-5 leaves) in nursery, water soaked lesions on collar region is seen, chlorotic leaves. Later, the young plant wilts and dies.
Cultural control of Chilli damping off:
- Raise the Chilli nursey seed bed 15 cm above the ground.
- Maintain enough space within the seedlings by removing the overcrowded seedlings.
- Deep ploughing of the field in summer.
Biological control of Chilli damping off:
- Seed treatment with Trichoderma viride or Trichoderma harzianum @5-10 gm/kg seed and Pseudomonas fluoroscens @5-10 ml/kg seed.
- In addition, do soil drenching with Trichoderma viride or Trichoderma harzianum @10gm/lt water.
Chemical control of Chilli damping off:
- As a preventive measure, do seed treatment with @Captan 75% WS @15-25gm/ kg seed or Carbendazim 50% WP @ 2gm/kg seed or Metalaxyl-M 31.8% ES @2ml/kg seed or Metalaxyl-M 31.8% ES @0.64gm/kg seed.
- To control, do soil drencing with Captan 75% WP @ 2.5gm/lt water or Mancozeb 75% WP @3gm/lt water or Metalaxyl4%+Mancozeb64%WP @2.5gm/lt water or Copperoxychloride @3gm/lt water.
Integrated Disease Management (IDM) of Chilli Damping off disease:
Follow the preventive, biological and chemical measures in a prophylactic way in order to practice integrated disease management in chilli crop.
Conclusion: For more queries related to disease management in chilli and other crops, comment below.